9.18.2009

Coconut-Kissed.

Dreams burn -

Tahiti heat
shriveling circumstance into a
   sand pebble.
Cheeks, towel dry and sun glowing,
plump with sea salt smiles and
   coconut kisses.
The blue ocean,
   for once,
surrounds instead of separates,
and hearts keep time with each wave breaking
   common shore.
Eyes closed under island umbrellas -

I am you, you are me
We are we - and free
Swaying to our palm tree promises

-af sept2008

* * * * *

I thought of this piece today while I was shivering in class. I wrote it a year ago for a series I was writing with another writer. I haven't really been to Tahiti...sigh.

These days, all I want is a new adventure.  I want photos and art and friends.  I want deeper faith. I just want to be outside where the world is. I'm slowly developing this personal belief that each sunrise is a challenge to make the new day different from the last. 

The days are getting shorter.  I love this time of year.  It's perfect weather for soy chai lattes and  poetry.  Fall often has me looking back on things that shouldn't matter now, and that's something I hope to address this season.  I don't want to spend my time scribbling verse on leftover emotion just because I can't find the inspiration to write something new.  So far...no luck...but we keep trying...

* * * * *

From now on, I'm going to try to post at least this section every day.  This is something I do when I journal, maybe I'll be more consistent with writing if I make this a daily commitment.  When I do my devotional journal - I always start with a list of ten+ things I'm thankful for that day.  It's usually addressed to God Himself, and I don't plan on changing that aspect of the list.   Sometimes it's deep, sometimes it's trivial.  I like it because it always gives me a moment to pause and thank Him.

the list:
- Your overwhelming patience with me   
- the truth                                               
- rest                                                      
- Amy's class
- Chi Alpha Guys/Girls night
- Kara, Kari, Nanami
- Teej, Nace, Kelly
- The Bassetts
- my amazing family
- promises

Until...

No comments:

Post a Comment