1.03.2011

A Post Holiday Update (pictures included)

I could make some excuses about why I haven't been blogging this last month, but that will just make for one useless paragraph of slightly obnoxious reading - so I'll spare you and get to the ins and outs of the past month and, who knows, I might even throw in some new year's resolutions. Like being more consistent with blogging...or writing in general, really...I digress...

During my last post, I told you we were gearing up for a series of Christmas outreaches and parties at campus, class and church.  It was truly a blessed time of ministry all around! For our first XA outreach of the season, almost 50 people came to the student center for our "Christmas Story" event.  The Covenant Players, a YWAM team sharing the gospel through the dramatic arts, and Pastor Sakai from Tokyo Urban Church brought the Christmas message to us and our guests before we all participated in a candle service together.  It was a special night, followed by a ton of food prepared by Irokawa Sensei - she's a pleasure to meet and definitely blessed us all with her cooking skills!

 
The next day, I attended a Christmas service at the yochien where I teach twice a month.  Cutest thing I've ever seen....


...and I got to sing a few of our English songs with them for their parents! 

The next week, we had a XA staff party and two Christmas parties at Todai - one at our weekly Bible study and another candle service that Wednesday night.  It was a great time of fellowship and food...again! I ate more turkey this year than I ever have at Christmas time, I think.  I was able to get to know some of my Japanese classmates better over the course of that week and it was, of course, great just to spend time with the Chi Alpha family in and around Todai.
 


The next day, Thursday,  was the Christmas party for my English class at Megumi Christ Church.  We started with our normal routine of a a few songs and a game, then we had our own mini candle service and reading of the Christmas story.  It was so beautiful to see all those little faces in the glow of their candles singing Silent Night!


 I  miss these kiddos a lot.  I can't wait to start class again!

Friday, Dec. 17, was also a day of celebration - but of a slightly different nature! In November, my dear friend Izumi asked me to help her throw a wedding party for her and her soon-to-be husband Kyungmin.  Before I knew it, the day was at hand! It was so much fun to help host this party for her, and I had a ton of help from all her other friends from LOGOS at Todai and all the people of Chi Alpha whose lives she has touched over the years she has spent with us.  Bridal showers aren't really a common thing in Japan, so we threw a party with a bit of American flair -- strawberry slush punch, shower games involving toilet paper, and surprises! She's beautiful, and I couldn't be more happy for her!



After an exceptionally great (and busy) week, I was ready to celebrate Christmas at my home churches in Tokyo - Tokyo Urban Church and GAP.  Beautiful services!  Tons of food...I guess some things about Christmas are the same in every country!  It was really nice to be surrounded by my family in Christ, singing Christmas songs, and celebrating the birth of Christ with those who share my faith.  I missed my family a lot during these weeks - Christmas being a major staple in  my household - but God was faithful to provide the comfort and support I needed.  

The official break started the next week, and a lot of my friends from the US started returning to Japan for the winter holiday and job hunting.  I had an amazing opportunity to spend an evening out on the town with some Chi Alpha and The Bridge friends from NSU! Kaori, me, Aya, Yoshi, and Sho in Shinjuku --


December 23 is a national holiday here (completely unrelated to Christmas), and Tokyo Urban Church had another Christmas outreach that day so I went --- and had so much fun! We had a lot of guests, as well, so that was awesome.  Please be in prayer for all the guests that attended the various events we had this Christmas season! 


On Christmas Eve, I headed over to Debbie's for a holiday stay! She and Susan were gracious enough to have me over while Susan was visiting family in the US.  Christmas Eve, Debbie and I headed to Harajuku to  meet some friends from GAP for dinner, coffee and Christmas lights.  It was definitely an memorable evening, but also very cold!  We had dinner at an American style diner called The Sad Cafe and ended up in a cafe for coffee and cake a bit later that had "Happy" in neon lights over the entry....it was amusing...



Christmas Day, Debbie and I just kicked back and relaxed at the apartment - watching movies and preparing for the evening festivities.  Joyce, Octavia, Kohei, and Teiko came over for games and movies.  We watched the Ultimate Gift and I beat them all at Phase 10! (I don't care that we didn't actually finish the game...Joyce...haha) 

Sunday was such a special day - a new friend of mine from Tokyo Urban Church was baptized the day after Christmas.  It's been awhile since I've been present for a baptism service and I think I'd forgotten what a significant moment that is in the life of a believer.  On top of that, it was the first time to attend a baptism service in Japan and it was so beautiful to witness this public confession of faith - here, in the country I came to serve Christ in.  She gave her testimony and pretty much all of us started to cry a bit.  So beautiful, Jesus is so good to us, ne!


Which brings me to the most recent week - and the year end and new year festivities!  It being holiday, my friends and I spent a lot of time hanging out this past week - just relaxing and enjoying Tokyo together - but the end of the week was something truly special.  As most of you know, over three years ago I met a girl named Jinny who started this whole thing.  She was the catalyst for the life plan God had been preparing me for.  On Thursday, I met Jinny for the first time in three years at Gotanda station in Tokyo! It was completely surreal, but amazing.  As it is for all true friends, we fell into easy conversation right away and spent the day exploring, shopping and meeting up with other NSU friends.  I saw Ai - one of my first year Bible study girls and a great friend - who I also haven't seen in three years, and we met up with Shugo that night at Tokyo Tower.  



Then it was New Year's Eve! I couldn't believe it.  2010, already gone.  Time has flown by this year, whether it was when I was heading to graduation, or waiting on paperwork this summer in order to come to Japan, to actually being here -- everything has gone so quickly and yet it all feels somehow disconnected.  I can't piece together that I finished school in Tahlequah and spent over three months in Japan in the same year.  I can't believe how outrageously blessed I've been this year.  It's been a journey, that's for sure!

We welcomed the New Year in my favorite place to chill in Tokyo - Odaiba.  Handra, Kohei, Teiko, Octavia, Katie, Anna, and my dear Jinny took in the sights from Fuji TV, marveled at the beauty of Rainbow Bridge and Tokyo Tower, ran into more friends from NSU and a family from Arkansas, enjoyed Hawaiian burgers and bowled 2011 into existence.  Needless to say, it was a fantastic evening. 



 

In one of the quieter moments of the night, Octavia and I had a great conversation about God and how He brought us both to Tokyo for this time.  The scope of God's plan astounds me.  How closed doors are so often just His way of directing us to His perfect plan.  How His love and His mercy never fail, but it doesn't stop there - He's a provider and a friend and a father, as well.  I'm not sure where this next year will take me.  Every day is a new adventure.  Some days I fail, some days I don't leave the mountaintop.  More than anything, I just want to trust God more.  It starts from there - being used of Him more, being sure of His plans - it starts with more trust in His absolute goodness, strength, and divinity.  

There are still days I wake up thinking this isn't really my life.  I'm not a brave girl, I'm not particularly faithful - I still have a lot of growing up to do. Yet, here I am.  Here I am in Tokyo! And I can't thank God enough for this opportunity and another eight months to see His hand move in this city.  May Your glory shine bright, Jesus.  2011 is Yours.

Until next time,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment