6.17.2009

So...

...some things about Tokyo:

1. Convenient stores are truly convenient. Not only are they conveniently placed just about everywhere, Quicktrip's got nothing on the food selection. So - find a meal that looks especially oishii, grab a bottled tea/juice/coffee/water and get to the counter where they will be more than happy to microwave that bad boy for you to enjoy elsewhere. Oh, and there is a copy machine. AND you can pay your bills there? Yeah. I know what you are thinking..."That is so convenient!" So, thanks to the 7-11 near the apartment, I have near unlimited access to curry rice.

2. You might be wondering, "Is there anything in Tokyo that strikes fear into Amanda's heart like never before?" The answer is yes, and the fear is getting ran over by a bicycle. There are SO many bicycles here. They are everywhere. I have yet to see a real parking lot for cars...I have seen plenty of bike parking lots though. I guess cars are generally parked in tall parking buildings - but still...the car/bike ratio is pretty extreme. I do have to give it to the Japanese though, they are talented bicyclists. I wouldn't make it on a bike here, for sure.

3. Most wards require their citizens to divide up their trash to be recycled. It's actually really cool. There is some satisfaction in knowing you are keeping your environment just a little bit cleaner by properly disposing your plastics. Also, people don't walk and eat - so there are few trash cans to be found along the sidewalks. Sometimes it's a little strange trying to find one...and then you also have to make sure it's the right one.

4. Sometimes the train is so busy and so full in the morning, guys with white gloves have to push the people inside so the doors will close. True story. I've seen them.

5. Everything is pretty kawaii. Cuteness is a big deal here.

6. There cafeteria food is pretty good, unlike the food at NSU - which is ridiculously sad in comparison.

7. 100 Yen shops (aka, the Japanese dollar store) actually have really awesome stuff, not the junk we have at some of our dollar stores...

8. Going to the movies? Approx. $18 for a ticket in Shinjuku, but you can bring in all the food and drink you can carry!

9. The freshest sushi is considered the best sushi around here. Sometimes that means it's still moving...

10. Japan is pretty awesome in general. I suggest a visit.


It's been a pretty awesome week so far! That last post was something I wrote at XHOP last Saturday night. XHOP stands for Chi Alpha(XA) House of Prayer. It's held at the student center every other Saturday night and every Thursday night. It was a really powerful time of prayer and worship. I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's XHOP!

Sunday, Susan preached at our church about God's love and loving others in Japanese. I really love Tokyo Urban Church. The people are so nice there. The prayer time is intense - these people know how to pray! It's fun, and I'm actually picking up on hiragana better trying to read the worship slides. Slowly, but surely...

Hiromi, my roommate from NSU, met up with me at Itabashi station on Monday morning! It was so exciting to see her get off the train and I'm sure people thought we were crazy because we ran to each other on the train platform. I've missed her, and it was good to see a familiar face. She took me to Harajuku - a famous shopping district in Tokyo. We went to Takeshita street, which is so busy but has some of the coolest shops. That's also where we took "purikura" - ex. the picture above! It was so much fun. I ate sushi for the first time. I ate shrimp for the first time. I had a Coffee Jelly Frappuccino at Starbucks. We also strolled down the most expensive shopping street in Tokyo - Omotesando Hills - though you can find designer labels at most of the plazas in Shinjuku, Ikebukuro and Harajuku. Fashion is really important to young Tokyo. Materialism is probably worse here than in America. Anyways, we hung out in Harajuku and Ikebukuro all day, ate some sweets, took some pictures and made plans to do it again soon!

Tuesday, we went to Todai and had LOGOS Bible study. It was really good, they are covering the Purpose Driven Life right now. After study, we went to lunch and met up with Shawn - a Chinese student we've been having really good conversations about God with. He's really nice and he and Robert are getting to be pretty good friends! We are also waiting on sight-seeing plans with a student we met last week, Yuta. He's offered to take us around a few places, I can't wait! I'm going to Todai tomorrow, so please pray that I have some divine appointments and that God gives me wisdom as I meet new people!

After Bible study on Tuesday, I went to Shinjuku by myself for the first time and didn't get lost - so that was exciting! I went to the big bookstore where they sell English books. Yay! I always feel better around books and coffee. Oh, there are so many coffeeshops here. It makes me very happy!

Today, we spent the day in Waseda. We were able to meet up with the CCC(Campus Crusade for Christ) team in one of the lounges. They are doing some good work there at Waseda. I talked to some of their team and met a few Waseda students. I had a really good conversation with this girl Mayumi. She's traveling to the States in a few months for vacation. She loves Audrey Hepburn! I also met a cool guy, Tadakazu. Hopefully we'll get to hang out again on Friday afternoon when I go back there. Robert, the other XA intern, had this amazing divine appointment happen with some guys! So, definitely pray for us that more connections are made with students and that God opens doors and hearts to share His love! Oh yeah, and I led Bible study at WEBs tonight. It was...okay. I hope what was in my heart actually got out. We had a new student, a Japanese friend of Praise's(S. Korean from London who is also here for missions) from London was there. It was hard for me to concentrate on talking slowly because I was a little nervous I think. I'm generally better at it, but by God's grace hopefully someone heard something they needed - whether today or in the future.

It's after midnight, so I should probably head to bed. Thanks for your support, your prayers and for reading this. Leave comments or send me some e-mail to let me know how things are going at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment