6.03.2009

Ohayo gozaimasu, Tokyo!

Good morning!

So, needless to say, I made it. I didn't get lost in LA or anything! The flights were actually really easy. I met some really nice people along the way. My aunts were on my flight to Dallas? Yeah, God works in mysterious ways but He kept me going. I even slept a little on my flight between Dallas and LAX, which is weird because it was definitely the most uncomfortable. On my first and last flight, I had a window seat so that was pretty nice...and Singapore Airlines? Amazing. I was in economy, but it didn't feel like it. The service is just amazing. They were all really nice too. I don't think I slept much on that ten hr. flight but we did get into Tokyo an hour early. Customs and immigration stuff went very smoothly and very quickly. Before I knew it, me and my suitcase were reunited, I was going through my last airport security check and then Susan was giving me a hug and welcoming me to Tokyo. The rest of the crew was very happy to see me there and to see me there early. We exchanged currency, grabbed our bus passes and began making our way to Machida to meet the pastor of Evergreen Chapel. There are a lot of bridges and ferris wheels in Tokyo. Big, giant, well-lit ferris wheels. And they drive on the opposite side of the road than we do, which was kind of unnverving at first. After we met him and Tatsu, they took us to the church.

Which is amazing. Its beautiful here. Last night, we came in, met Joy, who will be helping us learn how to teach English, put all our luggage in the elevator and sent it to the third floor where all of us are staying for the week. They had everything prepared for us. Our names are on the doors. Towels were laid out, our beds were made. We were all pretty tired, but none of us wanted to go to bed yet and really...why would we? Uchimura Sensei took us on a tour of the chapel, which I hope to get on video before I leave. You have to see this place. Anyways, he is so nice and so funny! We are going to have a lot of fun here. They told us to make ourselves at home and so...shortly after the grand tour, I went to my room...

...and crashed. I don't think I've ever been so glad to be in a bed. I went to sleep very quickly and woke up pretty early. Like 6:30 am, but lucky for me, so did everyone else! We all got up super early, got ready and we are now eating breakfast before our first class at 9:30. Listening to the crows, which are pretty loud but I've heard from the others...are must worse in other parts of the country. Yes. Crows. Anyways, we are eating our toast, drinking our coffee and contemplating going to the convenient store. We have an hour and a half before class.

Thank you for praying for me and supporting me. I thought I would be all nervous and afraid for a few days, but I'm fine. I was calm during travel and just excited now and I know that none of that was just my super good adjustment skills(those who know me well, laugh a little here)...it was God. He was with me every step of the way and your prayers didn't go unheard. I appreciate it so much. Keep praying for us - me, Anna, Kierin, Anna, Sarah, Liz, Eric and Robert - pray for us, our effectiveness and pray for the Japanese people!

I'll be back...probably later today...who knows?




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your day with us. I'm so glad you are there and experiencing all this. Keep us updated--love you so much!! mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray you have a great time at evergreen. I am a friend of Uchimura's. I first went there in 1991 and visited again in 2002 when they were just starting a family.
    God's blessings on you all
    Matt Parks and Family.

    ReplyDelete