7.08.2009

Balance.

Last week was busy, but it was really great. This week is much slower, which is nice for all of us who need to catch up on our rest. Monday night was a nice time of refreshment and ministry at the student center. It was the Carbondale team's last night here in Tokyo so they led our XA service and the altar time was very moving and the Holy Spirit was just present - it was awesome. There are amazing students who come to these prayer services, and I know that God has amazing things planned for them. Today, I discussed Ch. 39 of The Purpose Driven Life at Tokyo University. It was a good chapter for me to read and study because it was all about keeping balance in your spiritual life and I think, especially after how busy last week was, it was definitely some wisdom I needed to hear. After the study, we ate lunch and then Rob went back to the student center and I went back to the apartment...and I'm fairly certain we both took naps!

As I said in my last blog, I went to Seikei on Tuesday of last week and I was also there all day on Thursday. We had such a unique opportunity to actually go into these English classrooms, sing, make friends and talk about our faith and the love of Jesus. Each student received a copy of The New Testament in English/Japanese. We had some really good feedback from the students and we've all been e-mailing our conversation partners. Since I'm going to be here until August, I'm trying to make plans to meet some of the student I met for coffee before I leave. Be praying for those coffee meetings - I want the chance to talk about what we shared in the classes! I'm especially praying for one girl that I met - at the end of The Blessing Song(a song in Japanese about how much you are loved by God), she was crying and it was just a really precious moment to be there and hug her at the end of it. I've been trying to keep close contact with her and hopefully we'll be able to meet.

Tuesday evening we had a welcome party at The University of Tokyo - it was an awesome time of fellowship with the LOGOS Todai Bible study members, the Carbondale team and also some church members from The Gap(an international church located across the street from Tokyo University). Good food, amazing testimonies and songs, and good friends! Wednesday we met some awesome ladies at Waseda University, they joined us for a few rounds of spoons and conversation. Shortly after that, two ladies from the Carbondale team - Christa and Aprille - and I went down to the spot on campus where the hip hop dancers practice. Christa ended up dancing with them and we were able to talk to several of the girls and they invited us back to their group practice later that night. WEBs Bible study at Waseda was really good - we sang and some of the team shared their testimonies and Robert and I were finally able to meet Nozomi, the student leader of WEBs. We, of course, finished the night with a trip to the ramen shop for dinner!

Friday, Robert and I got to spend time with our friend Takeshi from Waseda. He took us to Asakusa(awesome!) and then we met up with the team in Shibuya(busy!) for a bit, and then he became my best friend ever because he took us to eat okonomiyaki! Okonomiyaki is my favorite Japanese food, and I hadn't been able to eat it anywhere yet. It's really cool because you cook it at your table. Oishii! Saturday was another fun day - finally took Liz to Harajuku and we also went to one of the biggest Shinto shrines in Japan, Meiji Jingu. There were some Shinto weddings happening that day and I know we were both prayer walking a bit while we were there. It was amazing knowing that we were in the heart of Tokyo and here was this forest with a Shinto shrine deep inside. It was a beautiful place, but there are so many rituals and its almost as much of a tourist attraction for Japanese people as it is for foreigners. After our day out in Harajuku, we came back to the apartment for Fourth of July dinner with Susan and Susan's neighbor Debbie. My first year without fireworks...but, I'll get to see some here in Japan later this month with our Tokyo University friend Yuta! Can't wait.

Sunday, went to church and had lunch with my cell group then I got on a train and headed to Akabane in Saitama to meet some friends from NSU! Arisa, Megumi and Yuki - it was so much fun hanging out with them and taking purikura. It's been such a blessing to get to meet with some of my friends from home...in their home country! It just really means a lot to me to have this experience and to be able to share it with them - because right after God, they are the reason I am here. I love these people, these friends. So, it was great to spend some time with more friends from NSU and I'm trying to set up a few more NSU meetings before the summer ends...

...and it is ending all too soon! As I look at the calendar, it just doesn't seem like enough time. I miss my family and I can't wait to see them, but the thought of leaving Tokyo behind is just hard for me. People need freedom and joy here, someone needs to tell them that they are loved and I want to help be a part of that. It just doesn't seem like enough time...

Be praying for the team as we begin our final month in Japan. Pray that we have wisdom, divine opportunities, favor and a love for the people around us that cannot be quenched. Pray that our love is contagious. Pray that our mouths are filled with truth and that the ears of those we speak to are opened to it. Thank you so much for your continued support - we could not do this without you.

Most of all, thanks to Jesus - Your overwhelming love and kindness is more than sufficient for me.

Oyasuminasai, friends and family!

2 comments:

  1. I finally read one of your blogs. It was good I will be praying for the coffee meetings.

    ReplyDelete