4.08.2009

Welcome to Matsuri '09!

What an amazing experience! I'm so glad I was able to be a part of Matsuri this year, both in the fall and spring semesters. In the fall, I did okonamiyaki demonstrations at one of the food booths:

Matsuri '08
















This semester, I was an emcee alongside Eri Fujino. We greeted the crowd and announced the beginning of the performances. I was a little nervous, even though it was all in English. I mean, I know that the 400+ people who came to this event are thinking, "That girl is not Japanese...," but it was so much fun! My mom and my NaNa were able to come and get a taste of what I love. In the performances, we had taiko(traditional Japanese drums), singing, a modified version of the traditional Peach Boy skit, JNSU's amazing soran dance, bon-odori(traditional style dancing, this is group dance that the crowd could participate in) and NSU best dance crew Celsior also performed. This was in addition to six food booths("strange foods", dorayaki, tonjiru, yellow ice cream, onigiri, yakisoba), Japanese calligraphy booth, origami booth, yo-yo(water balloon) booth, and the anime booth. Everyone in JNSU worked so hard! We also had some guests that helped out a lot: the Hoyukai Friendship Club of Tulsa, JSA(University of Arkansas Japanese Student Association) and IACE Travel. The decorations were beautiful, the food was delicious, the performances amazing...here are some pictures!


Matsuri '09 Staff t-shirts














Tonjiru booth














Taiko drummers

Shugo and Shogo(JSA) at the origami booth

-----

I have a lot of pictures...but it takes awhile for me to edit them here on blogspot. If you have me on facebook, there's an album up there!
Last Thursday, I coordinated the XA Underground service for NSU's Chi Alpha. In our normal service location, one of my missions committee members(Shu Nakai) waited for our Chi Alpha members. He gave them birthday invitations and took their Bibles, gave them t-shirts to wear over their Christian shirts and in all seriousness told them to be careful as he sent them away in groups to meet at our "underground" location. I was there, in the Wilson basement lounge. We wanted to simulate the things that people might go through in countries where Christianity is disliked or illegal. Our persecuted church met, prayed for our pastors in prison(they were actually at the hospital - having a baby!), Shu was "arrested" - having one of the confiscated Bibles on him and then we talked about what Christians in other countries suffer for loving Christ. We ended the night by writing letters to Christian prisoners overseas(http://www.persecution.com/). It was a really good time, and I hope that our students have a better sense of what's going on outside the U.S. and never take the freedom we have to serve Him here forgranted. I encourage you to write a letter to a Christian prisoner this week, they need the encouragement!
We are almost finished with raising support! I am so blessed to have the family, friends and church support that I have. My MAPS application is finalized and the final stages of planning for this trip are finally underway. God is so good!

Some ways to get involved:
Fri and Sat April 24-25 - HUGE Garage Sale
@ my house in Wagoner, OK
Sun April 26 - Spaghetti Dinner
@ Wagoner First Assembly, after morning service
Please PRAY for me!
Thank you!

If you would like more information about joining my support team, feel free to contact me by e-mail at fosburg@nsuok.edu or by mail:
Amanda Fosburg
P.O. Box 105
Wagoner, OK 74477

No comments:

Post a Comment